Please grant an introduction to the church of Christ
We come to you only in the name of Christ, desiring to help you in finding the true way of life, and hoping to be of service to you in every righteous way.
We believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God (2 Timothy 3:16-I7).
The Bible does not merely contain our teaching-- it ALONE is our teaching.
We pray for the unity of believers in Christ, for so did He (John 17:20-21).
Paul urged Christians to be "of the same mind," and set forth the only basis for unity in Ephesians 4:1-6.
SOME THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
You should know that the church was:
- Built and paid for by Jesus Christ. Matt. 16:13-18; Acts 20:28.
- Built on Christ as the only foundation. 1 Cor. 3:11.
- Not built upon Paul, Apollos,Cephas, or any other man. 1 Cor. 1:12-13
- Fully established on the first Pentecost after Christ arose from the dead. Luke 24:49; Acts 1:8; Mk. 9:1; Acts 2nd chapter.
You should know that, in the New Testament, the church is called:
- The temple of God. 1 Cor. 3:16.
- The bride of Christ. Eph. 5:21-32.
- The body of Christ. Col. 1:24; Eph. 1:22-23.
- The kingdom of God’s Son. Col. 1:13.
- The house of God. 1 Tim. 3:15.
- The church. Eph. 3:10.
- The church of God. 1 Cor. 1:2.
- The church of the firstborn. Heb. 12:23.
- The church of the Lord. Acts 20:28.
- The churches of Christ. Rom. 16:16.
You should know that members of the church are called:
- Members. 1 Cor. 12:27
- Disciples. Acts 6:1
- Believers. Acts 5:14; 2 Cor. 6:15
- Saints. Acts 9:13; Rom. 1:7; Phil. 1:1
- Priests. 1 Peter 2:9; Rev. 1:6
- Children. 1 John. 3:1-2
- Christians. Acts 11:26, 26:28-29; 1 Peter 4:16
You should know that the three permanent classes of servants in the church are:
- Elders, who are bishops. overseers or pastors. Their duty is to oversee and feed the flock. Acts 20:28; 1 Tim. 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9; 1 Peter 5:1-4.
- Deacons to serve the church. Acts 6:1-16; 1 Tim. 3:8-13.
- Evangelists to teach and preach God’s word. For their work and qualifications, see Eph. 4:11; books of lst and 2nd Tim. and Titus.
You should know that man did not:
- Purpose the church. Eph. 3:10-11.
- Purchase the church. Acts 20:28.
- Build the church. Matt. 16:18.
- Name its people. Acts 11:26; Isa. 62:2.
- Add to the church. Acts 2:47.
- Give the church its doctrine. 2 John. 9-10; Gal. 1-11.
You should know that the church and body of Christ are:
- The same. Eph. 1:22-23; Col. 1:18; 1:24.
You should know that Christ Himself:
- Loved the church. Eph. 5:25.
- Bled for the church. Acts 20:28.
- Established the church. Matt. 16:18.
- Called the church His. Matt. 16:18.
- Added people to the church. Acts 2:47.
- Is the head of the church. Eph. 5:28; 4:4; 1:22-23.
You should know that in the church are:
- Redemption. Eph. 1:7.
- Forgiveness of sins. Col. 1:13-14.
- Sanctification. Eph. 5:25.
- All spiritual blessings. Eph. 1:3.
You should know that in order to get into the church you must:
- Believe in Christ. John. 8:24; Acts 16:31; Heb. 11:6
- Repent of your sins. Luke 13:3; Acts 2:38, 3:19, 17:30
- Confess your faith in Christ. Matt. 10:32-33; Rom. 10:10; Acts 8:37-38
- Be baptized. Matt. 28:19; Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38, 10:48, 22:16; 1 Pet 3:21; Gal. 3:27
You should know that in new testament times there was:
- One family of God. Eph. 3:15.
- One kingdom of Christ. Col. 1:13-14.
- One body of Christ. Eph. 1:22-23; 4:4.
- One bride of Christ. Rom. 7:1-7; Eph. 5:22-23
- One church of Christ. Matt. 16:18; Eph. 1:22-23; 4:4.
You should know that baptism requires:
- Water. Acts 10:47.
- Much water. Jno. 3:23.
- Going to the water. Acts 8:36; Matt. 3:5-6.
- Going into the water. Acts 8:38.
- A burial. Rom. 6:3-5; Col. 2:12.
- A planting. Rom. 6:5.
- A washing. Acts 22:16.
- A birth. Jno. 3:5.
- A raising out of the water. Col. 2:12.
- A coming out of the water. Acts 8:39.
You should know that in baptism:
- Sins are washed away. Acts 22:16.
- You are saved from sins. 1 Peter 3:21; Mk. 16:16.
- You have remission of sins. Acts 2:38.
- You get into Christ. Gal. 3:27.
- You get into the church. Acts 2:37-47
- You put on Christ. Gal. 3:27.
- You obey Christ. Acts 10:48; II Thess. 1:7-9.
- You walk in newness of life. Rom. 6:3-5.
You should know that the faithful church:
- Must worship in both spirit and truth. John. 4:23-24
- Must meet upon the first day of the week. Acts 20:7; Heb. 10:25.
- Must sing (not play). Eph. 5:19; Col. 3-18.
- Must pray. Acts 2:42; 1 Tim. 2:1-2
- Must edify one another. 1 Cor. 14:15-27.
- Must take the Lord's Supper on the first day of the week. Acts 20:7; Heb. 10:25; 1 Cor. 11:20-32.
- Must give of their means. 1 Cor. 16:1-2; 2 Cor. 9:7.
You should know that the work of the work of the church is:
- Preaching the gospel. Mk. 16:15; Phil. 4:14-18
- Edifying itself. Eph. 4:11-16
- Providing for its poor. Acts 4:34-35, 6:1-7; 1 Tim 5:16
You should know that the same church:
- Is in your community.
- Is not a denomination in any sense.
- Is faithful to God's word.
- Is ONE in fact and teaching.
- Gains members by obedience to the gospel.
- Has the same freedom from human powers.
- Has the same name for its members.
- Has the same name for the church.
You should know that you can know you are a member:
- By obeying as described.
- By following examples in the book of Acts.